Saturday, June 17, 2017

Book Review ; My Fairy Godmother is a Drag Queen | by David Clawson










Title ; My Fairy Godmother is a Drag Queen
Author ; David Clawson
Genre ; Young Adult, Romance, Contemporary, Retelling, GLBT
Pages ; 257
Publisher ; Sky Pony Press      







Synopsis ;  This is a modern retelling of Cinderella, starring Chris Bellows. After his fathers death, he's left with his step family. With his fathers demise the family's fortune is also gone and Chris is left taking care of his step family and feeling more like a maid than a member of the family. His life turns upside down when he meets Coco Chanel Jones who becomes his modern day fairy godmother, helps him feel more comfortable in his own skin ,and shows him everything isn't always what it seems. Then stepsister starts dating Golden boy J.J Kennerly and problems arise when Chris and J.J fall in love. To make matters worse the media is watching their every move. 

First Impression ;  I was excited when I got the emailing saying I won this book from Goodreads, the synopsis drew me in and this is my first LGBT book so I didn't know what to expect. 



Rating ; 

 



Review ; When I first started reading this book I couldn't put it down, the story captivated me within the first few chapters. I found myself rooting for Chris and J.J but at the same time I was feeling bad for Kimberly. At first you think evil stepfamily but as the story goes on you see where they're coming from. I really enjoyed the story however this book is only getting 2 stars from me because although I liked this book I couldn't get past the fact that this book is about LGBT and acceptance but at the same time it was stereotypical towards African Americans and had some fat "jokes" shaming, I guess the author meant these in a light humorous way but I personally don't find it funny. Also the fact that Kimberly would sneak drugs into her mothers drinks to "calm" her down which I  find wrong on so many levels. If you took all that away this book would be getting a better rating
   


Cover Rating ; 


Judging a Book by it's Cover ; The cover is made to look like blue glitter, the font is adorable, and I like the town building/bridge silhouette. 




 


No comments:

Post a Comment