Friday, February 10, 2017

Crank by Ellen Hopkins | Book Review Spoiler Free



Title ; Crank
Author ; Ellen Hopkins
Genre ; Young Adult, Poetry, Fiction
Pages ; 537
Publisher ; Margret K. McElderry Books








Synopsis ; Kristina is an A+ student and she always does the right thing until she visits her dad and meets a boy, then Bree takes over. Kristina's life goes on a downward spiral as Bree makes the decisions. Bree isn't afraid to try new things and ends up getting addicted to the "Monster" and it takes over her life. This book follows Kristina/Bree's life as she deals with the consequences of getting addicted to the Monster.

First Impression ; I don't really have a first impression for this book because I actually read it when I was younger but I love Ellen Hopkins so I wanted to reread this series. I also lost my brother last year to an overdose and I remembered this series being about addiction so I wanted to reread it to maybe get more insight in my brothers life with addiction.

Rating ;
 

Review ; I'm a huge Ellen Hopkins fan, her books are an auto-buy for me. I love that she writes in verse and tells an entire story. She's very talented to be able to say so much with just one verse. Her books are very moving and I could continue writing the many reasons on why she's my favorite author but let's get back to the book review. Crank follows Kristina as she gets addicted to Crank, aka the Monster. We get to see Kristina/Bree's fight with the monster and I think this book is a little more insight to people that are near people with addiction but never dealt with it firsthand. You see how Kristina struggles, how she continues to make bad decisions while under the influence of the Monster, and how her family/friends are also effected. This book was a fast read because of how it's written in verse but by writing it in verse Ellen made this book more real and brutal, she doesn't sugar coat drug addiction and the consequences that can happen while being addicted to a drug. This book is about very real topics, things that happen to people everyday and it's not just about the drug addiction but other real life struggles that people deal with.


The Crank series is an unforgettable trilogy that you will always remember because of the deep serious meanings behind the books. This book is something I think everyone should read. I know that some schools prohibit this book from being in the library which is ridiculous because drug addiction is real and a lot of kids are peer pressured into trying them, I think by reading this book some kids will think twice before trying drugs, seeing the real life consequences of doing them. In this book you also get to see how people don't just do drugs because they have this terrible life or because they are depressed, sometimes they do it to seem cool or because they are bored and think it will be fun.

Cover Rating ;

Judging a Book by it's Cover ; The cover for this book is another simple cover, its solid black with Crank written in powder. It goes with the book perfectly and I love how Ellen Hopkins books all look, they are short, thick, and simple.

Quotes ;





       

No comments:

Post a Comment